Wednesday, March 9, 2011

Je t'aime!

And as long as we are on the topic of film, my favorite topic as you will soon learn…(consider yourself warned)…here comes it…A few personal selections of the Greatest Movies of All Time, in my book, at least!

French Cinema, je t’aime!

Love me, if you Dare
Why???
Stunning visuals – Amelie-like bursts of color – think cotton candy, donuts, tons of chocolate ice scream and strawberry bubblegum equivalents of color!!! Did I mention watermelon?!
And to top it all of with a good measure of adult plot full of mind blowing sarcastic words of wisdom and musings on the importance of imagination in the world of typical middle class adult.
cotton candy+sarcasm+mind-f… games…please, can I see it for the 6th time already!?
La Fidelite
Beautiful film that left me musing about it for weeks…as a matter of fact I am still thinking about it to this day, even though I saw it two years ago – it just fades in and out of my memory. A free-spirited photographer marries the "right" man just to realize he is not that "right" for her…but she has made a promise she cannot break…the promise that if everyone kept with just as much vigor as she does, the divorce rate in this country would not be close to 50%. Sophie Marceau is at her best here – sensual and ephemeral yet passionate in her values - all of that piled on top of the storyline of journalist dirt, organ trade and corporate competition. French cinema, I love the way you juxtapose universal emotions and doubts on top of political undercurrents and never fail to deliver. Merci!
Irreversible
Now this one makes me sad and scared and more scared…of underground underpasses. The movie, moving in reverse similar to another great film Memento, recites the story of one man’s revenge on the criminal who took the life of his girlfriend, brutally assaulting her in the beforementioned underpass. The movie, I warn you, is graphically violent yet should not be criticized for it. It pictures what many movies try to stir clear from – the real raw crime, the rape of an innocent woman unsuspectfuly fleeing from the fight she had with her boyfriend at a party. When I have a daughter I will show her this movie just to make her see that is what our parents warn us about, that is why we don’t walk home alone at night, why we call a taxi. The movie is a cinematographic masterpiece, from the sounds to the puzzle-like elements of the plot coming together. If you can handle the brutal matter of the script, the movie is a must see.  


No comments:

Post a Comment