Monday, March 14, 2011

Calling Cards

Another interesting idea is the growth of popularity of social calling cards. They are definitely staging a major come back. What once seemed like an elitist and snobby necessity now is a playful accessory of self-expression with many practical uses. Here are a few reasons to order a pack of social cards (S.C.):
  • S.C. can be more artistic and fun than your regular business cards.
  • S.C. come in various bright colors and designs and are customizable giving opportunities for self-expression.
  • S.C. are great in casual social gatherings where business cards would seem overly business-like. 
  • S.C. can contain such informal details as your blog address or website and, thus, showcase your various hobbies.
  • S.C. speak volumes for their owners and make an impression without saying a word.
I caved in and ordered my first pack after doing extensive research on designs and colors...surprisingly, there are hundreds of websites ordering beautiful products at various price points.  My main reasoning for buying social cards is that I hate scribbling my number down on unsightly pieces of paper or waiting for a new acquaintance to punch the digits into their phone. In my case, it was plain and simple practicality and a flair for chic design and traditional good manners. I can’t wait for my pretty cards to arrive!
As a side note, I read on some historical origins of the social cards and found the material quite intriguing. Apparently, in the 19th and early 20th centuries there was a social ritual of “calling” upon acquaintances, friends and relatives. This form of “visiting” was a staple of the middle and upper class social interactions and was governed by deeply treasured traditions and strictly obeyed rules. According to visiting etiquette of the time, every gentleman (it started as a man-only accessory) kept a number of calling cards on him to distribute upon his visits. When calling upon someone’s house, a gentleman gave his card to the servant at the door, placing it onto a silver tray that was offered to him. The servant then would take the card to the owners of the house, if they were home, or leave it for when they returned. Pretty dignified social interaction system indeed!
*Image of the cards is taken from the "Red Stamp" website… Their cards are très chic and I can’t wait for my package to arrive…counting the days!!!!


1 comment:

  1. I forgot to give you one of my card.Remind me next time

    ReplyDelete