Wednesday, March 7, 2012

Yoshi's Jazz Club



A few nights ago, I have finally left my hermit lair to rediscover the city. I have to coyly admit that it is rather intense to be working on my own business project. Although I always feel like I am not doing enough and merely scratching the surface, it is, nevertheless, all-consuming. But, alas, a dear family friend of mine had mentioned Yoshi’s Jazz Club, a local Fillmore Street lounge that she used to frequent with her husband. Now I will be frank and admit that I have never considered myself an avid jazz fan and steered clear of venues targeting this genre. However, recently I have felt that my tastes and preferences have been shifting and I am now magically drawn to things I once used to despise. Example: I used to hate yoga and laugh at all the tree-hugging hippies who practiced it. I even fell asleep in my college PE class while in the resting pose…I was bored and helpless and had no better means of expressing it!!! Well to cut this short, I am practicing yoga three times a week now….drums roll!!! So what do I know… lately, I will give anything a try and so I went to Yoshi’s to see the performance of exquisite Rhona Bennett, an ex-vocalist of En Vogue. Although she is considered to be an R&B singer rather than a jazz performer, I consider my overall experience a lovely jazzy venture. I had deliciously fresh sushi, my glass of chardonnay – all to the accompaniment of the soulful interplay of musical excellence and Bennett’s tantalizing charisma. What can I say, the more you push yourself to try new things, the more you surprise yourself with what you love. Their performers change daily and there is a singer or a band for anyone's taste!

Yoshi’s Jazz Club
1330 Fillmore Street
SF, CA 94115
Phone: 415.655.5600
http://www.yoshis.com/sanfrancisco


No comments:

Post a Comment