Sunday, March 11, 2012

The Artist



So I have finally witnessed the glory of “The Artist” that was much anticipated after all the Oscar’s hype which I have heard of but haven’t seen…shame on me, if you will. After a delightful meal at my new favorite Japanese spot, Sushi Sam’s, my friend and I proceeded to the downtown San Mateo Century 12 Theater. It was a 10:25 PM showing and knowing full well that “The Artist”, directed by Michel Hazanavicius, was stylized as the silent film of the 1920’s we were curious to see if its substance and style would keep us entertained enough to not nod off. Myself being a die-hard cinephile I often find it slightly anxiety-inducing to invite my friends to go to the movies with me as my taste is rather open to experimentation whereas my friends often find art house films agonizingly tedious. One hundred minutes later, I can ecstatically confirm that “The Artist” was incredible. The plot, performance, set and costumes took my breath away and transported me to the time beginning with the silver screen divas and slumping into the desperation of the Great Depression. If I had to make one critique of “The Artist” it would be that they mentioned the Great Depression in the papers of the film but glossed over it altogether in the plot. I guess you cannot be historically thought inducing and alluringly old-Hollywood-fabulous all at once so I will let it slide!  


Jean Dujardin as George Valentin and Berenice Bejo as Peppy Miller were outstanding. I think we have to praise and admire the silent actors of the past for their expressiveness and emotionality on the screen for their gestures and mimicry were the only tools to rely on! As to the plot it was good enough and showed some emotional range. A young girl, Peppy Miller, is an admirer of the silent film star George Valentin. By the irony of fate she gets pushed into his arms by the cheering crowd just as the cameras are shuttering away outside the cinema. The fated incident inspires her to seek audition as an extra in Valentin’s new film which consequently catapults her into a gradual rise to stardom. The celebrity of George Valentin, however, suffers in sacrifice to the newly introduced preference for the “talking films.” The drama, competitiveness and suffering unfold that, of course, are quickly resolved by the loving and teary reunion of the main characters. Overall, "The Artist" is a good film and its “silence” is refreshingly entertaining and nostalgic.





No comments:

Post a Comment