Thursday, February 17, 2011

on festivals


It is cold and raining here in San Francisco and unless I decide to brave the puddles in my colorful rain boots, my posts will keep focusing around the kaleidoscopic variety of world cinema and my irrepressible addiction to Netflix. Although "Mr. Netflix" has made our lives significantly easier on the days when all you want to do is drown beneath some warm covers with a cup of hot chocolate, I will forever claim my fame as an avid moviegoer. I am addicted to the old, one-room movie theaters that still have that retro artsy vibe about them – some still featuring curtains around the screen as if it were a stage! For me no plasma TV at home, no matter how large, can replace the rusty old screen – the darkness that envelops you and the feeling of being pulled from your seat right into the rolling action. The DVDs take out the emotions for me….it is like smelling flowers in a gas mask… That takes me to my next gimmick – I often need to see a movie alone... as in no date or loyal friends allowed…especially if it is really good…selfish, I know (must be an only-child thing) – do not dare try to steal or share into my movie-absorbing-experiences, people!!! But jokes apart, I have never felt so liberated as to take a spontaneous hideaway from the hum and buzz of city and enjoy a matinee. It truly recharges your batteries on any given Sunday and then you can focus on the emotions the movie evokes in you, notice every subtle detail…

While I am on the topic of movie theaters and far away from my sublime collection of films at home, let me make an announcement:

Tribeca Film Festival will be held April 20-May 1, 2011

San Francisco International Film Festival will be held April 21-May, 2011

After I moved to San Francisco from NYC, in my mind, I put a fat cross over my affair with the mighty Film Festival. I was wrong, I admit it – gravely wrong. I dare say that I love the International Film Festival in San Francisco just as much as that in Tribeca and that the calibre of film selection is excellent. So SF, bring it on…feed me film like you feed me diverse deliciousness of food…but that is left to my other blog...

Links to the festivals:

NYC: http://www.tribecafilm.com/festival/news-views/2011_Tribeca_Film_Festival_Announced.html

SF: http://www.sffs.org/sf-intl-film-festival.aspx 


No comments:

Post a Comment