Monday, February 6, 2012

After Fall, Winter

Continuing the theme of intimacy deprivation and sexual indulgences vividly presented to us in "Shame", I could not pass on another film which trailer recently caught my eye. Stuck on a longish flight from SFO to JFK can be a torturous ordeal given the limited space, dry air and my distrust in  airplane's proper functioning. But paranoia aside, 6-hour flights are also an excellent opportunity to rent some movies on your iPad and ignore your talkative stranger-danger-seat-neighbor. So on my recent transcontinental travel, I watched "After Fall, Winter", new romantic tragi-comedy by Eric Schaeffer. What started out as a dark yet comical reflection on romance in the world where emotional disfunction has become a norm, slowly sunk into a disaster of blasse scenes and oversimplified characters and culminated into a snooze inducing Romeo-Juliette finale. 



Although I did find the film disappointing, its only redeeming quality was the choice of female heroine Sophie (Lizzie Brochere). Her playful sarcasm and dangerously sexy allure has salvaged what seemed unredeamable. Dominatrix role-play, terminal hospice, insecurity, loneliness, fear and longing for connection overlapped with comical nuances, resulting in one schizophrenic chaos ... and that, my friends just does not sit well with me, plot-wise.








No comments:

Post a Comment