Sunday, September 11, 2011

Brigitte Bardot Collection



So what have I been up to lately? To be absolutely frank, I have been shamelesly satisfying a clandestine film-romance with no one else but my all time favorite Brigitte Bardot. On my birthday, which for my love of 1960's films and fashion had turned into a thematic extravaganza, a dear friend has given me a 5-film Lionsgate production collection of B.B. For the last few months I have been travelling on and off and having safely returned home I now finally got a chance to indulge and dedicate a few consequative evenings to this gem of cnematography ranging from 1956-1969. Having recently finished Roger Vadim's autobiography, a big chunk of which captured the life of excuisite Brigitte, I was eager to catch up on as much of her work as physically possible! The verdict is the following: although, I will always draw tremendous pleasure from watching graceful Brigitte and the impeccable dresscode of the 1960's films, I must attest that the movies themselves are a hit or miss. Don't get me wrong – they were all incredibly enjoyable and inspiring in all their femme-glory but cinematically they were pretty flat and fading in comparison to their famous New Wave counterparts of the same era. However, I don't believe those films should be weighted as heavily or on the same scale - just simply enjoyed. 

My favorite film from the set was «Le Repos du Guerrier» (Love on the Pillow», simply for the fact that Brigitte Bardot exposed more acting range and showed deeper emotions than in her usual and much admired sex-kitten repertoire. I still have a lot to learn about Bardot's work but in my eyes her best movie up to date remains the one that made her famous – «And God Created Woman» for its liveliness, barefoot charm and seductiveness. Oh no, I almost forgot, I did love «Les Femmes» which was included in the set but since I have seen it many times before, I totally blanked! It is a must see! The first time I enjoyed the film, I could not stop thinking that it looked like a series of incredibly beautiful photographs. It celebrates the beauty of women in their differences and passions and leaves you begging for more of that joie de vivre…



P.S. All the films are in color even though the pictures I found are misleading : )


No comments:

Post a Comment