Thursday, July 21, 2011

A few days after our arrival, I was taking our Italian greyhounds, Mao and Lilliput, for a walk on the beach when I saw a man kneeling in the sand, staring at something. As I got closer, I realized it was Jack Nicholson. He had a twenty-four-hour beard, and I wondered how long he had been without sleep. In the palm of his hand he was holding an orange that had been washed up by the ocean and was stained with tar. It looked like a globe of the world. He placed a finger on one of the tar stains.
"There's Europe," he said.
He pointed to another stain.
"There's Asia and there's Africa."
Something seemed to be bothering him.
"The American continent isn't there," he said.
He thought for a minute and said, "If the American continent doesn't exist, that means we don't exist either. If we don't exist, what are we doing here?"
"I've arrived from Paris," I replied. "And I didn't notice that the United States did not exist."
"It's jet lag," he explained.
After a long silence he said, "The state of nonexistence can enable one to understand many things. For example, that the world is an orange covered with tar stains...even Einstein didn't foresee that."
He looked at me with a provocative, disarming smile that was also a little diabolical. He seemed to be making fun of himself or others - probably of himself and others. - Roger Vadim

I found this excerpt from Roger Vadim's book incredibly amusing! If you are curious about French cinema and lives of the 1960's celebrities, you should most definitely read Vadim's autobiography "Bardot Deneuve Fonda. My Life with the Three Most Beautiful Women in the World." I got this book as a gift for my 60's themed birthday party and although not a serious or eye-opening read, it was a perfect book for the summer - light, funny and charming! 


No comments:

Post a Comment